grouper-users - Grouper HA scenarios

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Grouper HA scenarios

  • From: Niels van Dijk <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Marieke de Wit <>, Hans Zandbelt <>
  • Subject: Grouper HA scenarios
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:36:42 +0200

Hi All,

We are currently exploring scenarios for setting up Grouper in a high
available, failover setup.

For the MySQL database, we plan on implementing a standard master-slave
configuration using two mysql servers.

For Groupers gui and webservices, the only requirement seems to be that
sticky sessions need to be handled. Therefore several options seem to exist:
1) Clustering setup in Tomcat, as described here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html
2) Use apache mod proxy in front of tomcat to handle the clustering,
with sticky sessions enabled, like eg described here
http://www.markround.com/archives/33-Apache-mod_proxy-balancing-with-PHP-sticky-sessions.html
(of course using java sessionid, not php sessionid)
3) use a loadbalancer to handle the sticky sessions and just use two
separate tomcat instances. Pound (http://www.apsis.ch/pound/) or a
hardware LB could handle this.

Did anyone set up grouper in such a way? What solution did you choose?
And what are your experiences with that solution?

thanks in advance,

regards,
Niels

--
Niels van Dijk
Advanced Services

T: +31 302 305 337 / M: +31 651 347 657
SURFnet - PO Box 19035 - NL-3501 DA Utrecht - The Netherlands -

http://www.surfnet.nl
SURFnet grensverleggend netwerk voor hoger onderwijs en onderzoek