grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Trying to improve ldappc performance

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Trying to improve ldappc performance

  • From: Paul Engle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Trying to improve ldappc performance
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:55:53 -0500

- --On Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:05 PM -0500 Tom Zeller

> <source-subject-identifier source="g:gsa"
> subject-attribute="name" initial-cache-size="100003">
>

> <ldap-search base="ou=pengletest,dc=rice,dc=edu"
> scope="subtree_scope" filter="(givenName={0})" />
>
> </source-subject-identifier
>

> replace filter="(givenName={0})" with filter="(cn={0})".
>

> No, the filter "cn={0}" doesn't work when provisioning with
> structure="bushy", I was quite wrong.
>

> It really is silly for ldappc to lookup group DNs when it
> itself creates them. I'll see what I can do to speed up
> resolving groups to DNs.
>

> In any case, is givenName indexed ?
>

> TomZ

Right, we want a bushy structure, but we still wanted access to
the colon-delimited version of the name, because that's more
convenient for some applications. So I decided to store that as
givenName. It is fully indexed, just like cn.

However, I can't think of a reason why we would want to know
about member groups from the ldap side. All of our usage is
going to be based on knowing whether a person is in a given
group, be it direct or indirect. Given that, could I avoid the
extra lookups altogether if I just remove the
<source-subject-identifier> entry for the g:gsa source? Much of
our automatically-generated group struture relies on
member-groups in the definitions; eliminating all those lookups
may make a significant difference.

-paul

- --
Paul D. Engle | Rice University
Sr. Systems Administrator | Information Technology - MS119
(713)348-4702 | PO Box 1892