grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Grouper UI 1.4.1 and Mac Safari 4 beta

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Grouper UI 1.4.1 and Mac Safari 4 beta

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Scott Koranda <>, Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Grouper UI 1.4.1 and Mac Safari 4 beta
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:47:26 +0000

I've committed changes to HEAD which means that debugging is off by default, but can be turned on through the ui build.properties or limited to members of a group.

Gary

--On 27 February 2009 16:27 -0500 Chris Hyzer

Is there any sensitive info that's revealed in debug mode? If not, then
perhaps debug mode itself will scare off those that happen to find it
but weren't seeking it.

Are you suggesting we don't protect it? Web security principals suggest
you should give users the least amount of information they need,
including debug or error traces. But anyways, without going into details
of whether or not which parts of it are sensitive in a public forum, and
before everyone is running on a copy of grouper which is protected, I
suggest we protect in 1.4.2. I glanced at the data and don't see any
glaring red flags. Also, when programming webapps in java, it is an
assumption of the developer that server-side state (e.g. request,
session, context attributes) are not accessible to the user. So even if
something isn't sensitive today, doesn't mean that is the case tomorrow.

Also, if you want to look for yourself at the info or have concerns, you
could make a rule which makes that url location (to enable it)
unavailable in apache e.g. with an alias. My grouper installation has a
very limited user base, so Im not concerned. If you have an installation
with untrusted users you might want to consider it.

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing

  • RE: [grouper-users] Grouper UI 1.4.1 and Mac Safari 4 beta, GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing, 03/02/2009