grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Grouper and federative login

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Grouper and federative login

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, Martin van Es <>
  • Cc: RL 'Bob' Morgan <>, Grouper Users Mailing List <>, Hans Zandbelt <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Grouper and federative login
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:29:45 -0500

Ive been thinking this over, and here are some issues to ponder:

1. If you have a source that finds the logged in user, then if you add
yourself to a group, and someone else is logged in, then you will be
unresolvable to them

- Mitigation: is to be able to mark sources and neverUnresolvable.
And we need to do more testing with grouper and unresolvable subjects (there
are still some issues out there when groups have unresolvable members)

2. If you have sources like these two which are not populated in ldap, then
wont ldappc (or some hook), need to add the subject to ldap before
provisioning the memberships? And ldappc doesn't currently do that (another
reason Penn has our self serve app)

- Mitigation: add more subject utilities into grouper or subject API?

3. If you have a source which finds anyone, then if you search for a
subjectId which exists in another source, then wont you get a
subjectNotUniqueException? Same problem if the logged in user is in another
source.

- Mitigation: have the ability to mark a source as lastResort, so it
checks other sources first, then if none found, checks the lastResort one

4. Its hard to know if you are misspelling a subjectId when adding someone to
a group, if there is no subject metadata... perhaps sort of like how when we
had to log in to the Paccman site for Steveo to assign our permissions...

- I guess it is something to live with, unless Grouper keeps a store
of attributes that could be attached to external users. Or there is a
standard for web service sources for attribute lookup... :)

5. When people change external id's, they will not have the same memberships.
This is the same for changing internal id's, though I thought I would
mention.

- People would need to contact the grouper admin so that a
MemberChangeSubject command could be issued

Regards,
Chris