grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] naming a group as a subject with gsh

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] naming a group as a subject with gsh

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Scott Koranda <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] naming a group as a subject with gsh
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:37:11 -0500

The second arg to the grantPriv gsh call is subjectId, and the subjectId of a
group is its uuid and not its name. So this will work:

gsh 0% GrouperSession grouperSession = GrouperSession.startRootSession();
gsh 1% Group group = GroupFinder.findByName(grouperSession,
"aStem:activeEmployee");
gsh 2% grantPriv("aStem", group.getUuid(), NamingPrivilege.STEM)
true
gsh 3%

However, we have seen this confusion before, and I suggest we:

Change subjectId calls in GSH to use SubjectFinder.findByIdOrIdentifier(),
which would handle this case, and probably others where it is a little
confusing. This works by first looking by ID, and if it finds the subject,
use it. If not, then search by identifier (which in this case the group name
is an identifier). Any reasons not to do this?