grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Newbie questions

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Newbie questions

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Newbie questions
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:29:46 -0500

> 1. Is it possible to assign group permissions (e.g. ADMIN, UPDATE,
> READ, etc.) to another group so that everyone in the designated group
> receives those permissions dynamically?

Yes, you can assign to a group or an individual, and it will be dynamic in
that if you add a member to that group, then they will get that permission.
Same with group memberships (add a group as member to another group, and the
memberships will dynamically cascade)

> 2. When using the group permission "OPTIN", it seems that you have to
> define in advance all of the subjects that will be allowed to opt in
> because the permission is assigned to a subject. Is it possible to let
> any subject opt in to a group without having to specify the subjects in
> advance?

Yes, there is a special subject "EveryEntity" or used to be "GrouperAll" I
believe, and if that is assigned, then anyone has the permission

> 3. I have seen "groupLookupName" in some v1.4 web services code
> samples. What is it used for?

e.g. if assigning members to group school:math:group1, then the group lookup
name for that service would be the name of the group: school:math:group1
or you could specify the lookup uuid. So it's the name of the group to
lookup and once found, add members (for example)