grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Grouper v1.4.0 now available

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Grouper v1.4.0 now available

  • From: Arnaud Deman <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Chris Hyzer <>, Tom Barton <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Grouper v1.4.0 now available
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:26:00 +0100

Thanks for your answer Chris,

First some precisions about our context:
we are using grouper with an adaptation of uPortal which will be deployed for a hundred of establishments.
In this context we have the need for dynamic groups (There was a thread: "Dynamics groups in grouper" in the grouper-dev list ten months ago).

Because of the very important number of groups, my first idea was to trigger the update in grouper when change occur in our LDAP.
This could be done with an implementation of  LDAPSync client.

As it is quite an important development, I wanted to see first if the Grouper Loader in association with  the LDAP dynamic groups overlay could be a solution. My two main questions are about the dynamic aspect and the effectiveness with a huge number of groups and users.

I think the possibility of using a custom implementation could be very interesting, even if we chose the first solution. Is there already a specification of the interface ?

Regards,
Arnaud.

Chris Hyzer a écrit :
Right now it is only databases, but the way it is setup is flexible, so we could easily define a new loader type for ldap.  I should also put in a custom type where users can provide their own implementation.

Anyways, for ldap, would this work?  If not, let me know exactly how you want it to work.

Specify the ldap url (which could be ssl), and the user/pass, and the location of the group object (or objects if list of lists), and the name of the multi-valued member attribute.  Perhaps also the subject source id.  The list of members should be subject identifiers or ids.

When do you need this by?  1.5 ok in spring?  Or sooner (1.4.1?)