grouper-users - Problems with search

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Problems with search

  • From: Thomas M Goerger <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Problems with search
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:05:54 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

We're having some problems with search, and the way users are being
displayed when they are queried. We're connecting to an Apache database
on the backend, and using a JNDI query to hit our LDAP database to
populate our Grouper instance. All of the search and group creation
functions work, I'm just wondering about how to optimize these a bit.

1. Right now, I'm using the searchSubject search on our cn attribute, and
this finds people fine. I'm not sure how the searchSubjectByIdentifier or
search functions work however. No matter how I change these, the people
search doesn't seem to change the results sent back. What are these
functions used for?

2. I'm also wondering why my install is doing an ldap query each time I
want to list the members of a group. When I click the manage members or
add members button, Grouper is hitting my ldap source to pull information
about these users. Shouldn't this be hitting my backend Oracle DB
instead? How would I go about doing this?

3. I would like to have more than one attribute show up in the
description for a member. So that, if I list a group membership, I could
list both the person's name attribute, and their uid attribute. Is there
any way to do something like this?

Thanks for all the assistance!

Tom Goerger
University of Minnesota
Operations, Infrastructure & Architecture
Internet Services