grouper-users - Re: [grouper-info] Using Grouper for PHP Application Authorization

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-info] Using Grouper for PHP Application Authorization

  • From: "caleb racey" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-info] Using Grouper for PHP Application Authorization
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:27:43 +0100

We are interested in using grouper with php applications too.

As Tom has mentioned at present grouper mainly works by provisioning groups
into LDAP directories. PHP can then interrogate the LDAP directory for
information. If that approach matches your infrastructure then it is probably
the one you should pursue.

There are other possibilities for integration. It would be possible to
populate a database with specific grouper groups relatively easily and query
that via php. Alternatively it is possible to populate an .htaccess file
with group membership and use that directly with apache to do access control.
Both these approaches are adhoc and inelegant but may well be useful in given
use cases. The gsh grouper shell tool allows for command line querying of the
grouper api. It is then relatively easy to write small scripts that run gsh
and format the output to create .htaccess files, or write to a databases.
This is not the way grouper is "meant" to be used but may be enough to
provide lightweight integration of a variety of php based apps with grouper.

Regards

Caleb Racey
Webteam
ISS

>>> we (Sabanci University of Turkey) want to use Grouper with ours PHP