grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] import, command line parameters....

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] import, command line parameters....

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] import, command line parameters....
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:13:31 -0500

Tom Barton wrote:

The Subject API v0.2.1 wiki page has this to say:
I've seen this... but it didn't help enuf....

--

The "getSubject" method is used to select a specific subject from the back-end identity store, for example, to show the name and department of a person belonging to a group.

in what context is this selection being done? Here's my guess... inside the Grouper backend, a member of a group is defined by the triple ( subject id, source, and type ... I think). So, is getSubject (subject id) used to retrieve detailed attribute info about that entity from "source"?

So.... subject id should be persistent and non-reassignable? (which you'd suggested in a previous note...)

The "getSubjectByIdentifier" method enables identifying a subject by means of a column or attribute different from that used as the subjectId. For example, if a UI user authenticates with a loginId, but the subjectId is an opaque registryId, this method is used to identify the subject given their loginId.

so, this refers to an alternate unique identifier, that exists ONLY in a source? and is probably human-readable? is it ever used by Grouper? not that I see on the screen...?

I'm presuming authn is done external to grouper... does Grouper use this method to obtain my subject ID after I login? so it can show me "my groups"?