grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] import, command line parameters....

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] import, command line parameters....

  • From:
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] import, command line parameters....
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:58:15 -0500

At 12:53 PM -0600 2/27/07, Tom Barton wrote:
I think I've found our documentation bug. :-)

yes! making this change does change the behavior! I've now got ldap problems, but the grouper logs look much better!

I'd note that, in an effort to help, I've been behaving like a "typical user". Which is to say, I didn't read the doc, but did find, under the description of the import tool, this paragraph:

"The Grouper QuickStart includes a demo registry. quickstart.xml is a minimal XML import file which creates the demo registry*."

well, I said, if this file worked for them, its a good place to start. I'll just download and edit this file.... Turns out to have been a very bad choice on my part... :-(

In addition, take care of what namespace is used for the 'id' attribute. Should that be id='stc' or id='<some opaque identifier>'? It depends on what you declare for the subject 'id' attribute in sources.xml. For the JNDI adapter subject v0.2.1 uses the declaration

<param-name>SubjectID_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>someAttribute</param-value>

The value of <someAttribute> is the subject's id, and that value is what's needed in the xml import file to identify a member.

so, my input file now contains elements like this:

<subject id="stc" source='Brown' type='person' immediate='true' />

and my sources file contains:

<param-name>SubjectID_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>uid</param-value>

and my user object contains uid=stc .... so I think I've got those all set....

my sources file also contains:

searchSubject filter = uid (MUST be same attribute as used for SubjectID_AttributeType ?)

searchSubjectByIdentifier filter = brownBRUID (a unique persistent value assigned to every member of the brown community -- is this a good choice ? )

search filter = (this looks like a grab-bag search of the directory.. eg "find an entry which has this value in some attribute" )

(|(uid=%TERM%)(cn=*%TERM%*)(objectclass=exampleEduPerson))