grouper-users - Re: [grouper-dev] another use case

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-dev] another use case

  • From: Joy Veronneau <>
  • To: , Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] another use case
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:29:46 -0400

Hi Everybody,

We talked about this some more today. It turns out that everyone agrees that there are some groups that we won't want even the helpdesk staff to be able to see.

From experimenting with version 1.0, it looks like:

- If a group does not have "read" and "view" privs, then a person can not see if they are a member of the group.
- If a group has "read" but no "view" privs, then people can see that they are a member of the group (regardless of their "read" or "view" privs for the group.)

So we are going to propose that we restrict the creation of groups without "read" privilege, so that people can see what groups they are a member of, except for a very few groups. The helpdesk will either be able to ask the user to sign into the Grouper UI and look at their groups, and/or we may write a utility for the helpdesk to be able to do that.

In any event, this is better than what we have now. Nobody can see what permits they have, and only very few people at the helpdesk can look at your permits. The helpdesk would also like to be able to see "...and 4 secret groups" or something like that at the end of the list.

Joy