grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Grouper/Oracle (install)

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Grouper/Oracle (install)

  • From: Tom Poage <>
  • To: Mark Weber <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Grouper/Oracle (install)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:13:55 -0800

Hi, Mark.

Mark Weber wrote:
> Noticed another caveat with oracle and Grouper/Hibernate. Sorry if this
> has already been published elsewhere.
>
> In your hibernate.properties you need to add the following *before* you
> do your initial 'ant schemaexport' (otherwise your db-init fails)
>
> hibernate.query.substitutions = true 1, false 0
>
> The reason for this is that Oracle does not support Boolean datatype.
> Apparently it's optional in the ANSI SQL spec.

Curious: which version of Oracle, and which Hibernate dialect?

I fetched grouper from cvs yesterday, set hibernate.dialect to
net.sf.hibernate.dialect.Oracle9Dialect (running 10g here), and
didn't see--well, notice--any schemaexport errors.

The mapping in, say, edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GroupType
(table GROUPER_TYPES) looks to be Java boolean -> Hibernate Type.BIT
-> Oracle NUMERIC(1,0).

> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Release 10.1.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
>
> SQL> describe grouper_types;
> Name Null? Type
> ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------------
> ID NOT NULL VARCHAR2(128)