grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Installing and configuring grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Installing and configuring grouper

  • From: "blair christensen." <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Installing and configuring grouper
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 06:35:59 -0700

On 2005.05.15 13:05, Chris Hyzer wrote:
> We would like to setup a proof of concept using grouper and some groups
> we use at Penn (e.g. staff, active-student, etc)

Great!

> I have downloaded and installed the software, but I would like run
> through the steps that I need to do:
>
> 1. Create some groups (using the Java API?)
> 2. Populate the groups with users (using the Java API, and with IDs
> externally defined (e.g. our "pennkey" which is a 8 character field of
> alphas))?

In the contrib/ area of the Grouper distribution there are some sample
(and somewhat dodgy) programs that can either be used to load groups,
subjects and memberships or else to serve as examples of how to do so
with the API.

I say "dodgy" as they aren't necessarily good example programs. The
programs generally try to do to much and they don't do anything well.
I should try to replace those with something, anything better and more
clear.

I believe the implementation guide (which ships with Grouper) also
talks about using the contrib/ code to populate your Groups Registry
for testing.

> 3. Create or use some connector so that apps can query the data (Is
> there an LDAP one available yet? Should we use the API to get something
> working via web service / RMI / export to flat file, import into LDAP /
> etc?)

There are no LDAP connectors of any sort yet. I haven't had a chance
to write one yet and I'm somewhat hoping that someone will beat me to
it and contribute it back.

I have the beginnings of a web service - unfortunately most of that
work was on the hard drive of a laptop that died last week.

blair.