grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] patching and upgrading source dirs

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] patching and upgrading source dirs

  • From: "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] patching and upgrading source dirs
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 18:40:55 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

We have had requests for this over the years.

I don’t think this is going to happen.

You can only patch and upgrade distributions that are already built, not source dirs…

First of all patches are targeted additions to a Grouper binary that are structured for the binary.  It is difficult if not impossible to use these on Grouper source.  You can build the source then apply the patch though J  or just get the latest source.

As for upgrading a source dir, the difficulty is you need to see what has been changed, get the new version, and apply the changes from the previous source dir.  This seems possible but complex.

I think we should focus on a generic way to manage configuration and builds in various envs in a deployment.  I think the TIER packing team will have a way to do this.  i.e. have your docker container for WS or UI or daemon, and have externalize configuration for your institution and env (dev/test/prod).  You will not need to build from source.

If you have built from source and want to upgrade or patch, I suggest upgrading / patching the resulting war/binaries.  Or keep track of any changes you made to the source and make those changes to the new version of source (should just be some configs)

Ok?

Thanks

Chris

  • [grouper-dev] patching and upgrading source dirs, Hyzer, Chris, 08/04/2016