grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper WG at TechX: Wed Oct 29, 12:15pm-1:15pm

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper WG at TechX: Wed Oct 29, 12:15pm-1:15pm

  • From: "William G. Thompson, Jr." <>
  • To: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • Cc: Tom Barton <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper WG at TechX: Wed Oct 29, 12:15pm-1:15pm
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:52:17 -0400

+1 on provisioning strategies.

Lafayette is just starting the down the path with Grouper. One of the
goals is to have a default set of services/accounts authorized/created
for a variety of constituents based on reference groups and manual
exceptions.

Our current conception of this is to create a composite
authZ/provisioning group per service (like the UC VPN example). I
would love to hear more from others who are already down this path.
Are there other ways to configure/organize a default set of services?
Does this approach scale?

Another is managing a set of LDAP group memberships that drive authZ
to samba shares. This appears to be a straight forward Grouper use
case?

Also wondering if there is enough Grouper experience now to describe
other general configuration/deployment approaches to various Grouper
capabilities. Something of a how-to for various Grouper use cases as
well as a summary of operational experience. (e.g. If you have this
kind of authZ use case, config Grouper like this... If you run
Grouper expect to have this kind of care and feeding... If you run
into this kind of issue, try this, look here...)

Best,
Bill

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Michael R. Gettes