grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] functionality request, invitation service ....

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] functionality request, invitation service ....

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, "" <>
  • Cc: Mark Earnest <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] functionality request, invitation service ....
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 11:47:11 -0400

On 5/12/14 3:13 PM, Chris Hyzer wrote:
I added a jira.

thanks!

Do you want to know who added the user overall, and keep that
attribute with the user record. Or do you want to know who invited a
user to a group, and keep that attribute on the membership?

We currently have a set of "sponsored IDs" in our Person Registry (ie I can sponsor a local account, here at Brown, for Chris Hyzer; this is how the world used to work ;-) ). On the yearly anniversary of the creation of that Sponsored ID account our IDM system will send an email to both the sponsor and the holder of the Sponsored ID account, asking if it should be kept active. Without a positive response, the account moves down the workflow steps to remove it.

I'm thinking of using the same model for "invited external guests". On the yearly anniversary send an email to both the invitor and the external person asking if the group membership is still needed. Its the only way I can currently think of handling de-provisioning for these external people.

So, I think that implies keeping the identity of the invitor with the membership.

And, perhaps, when the set of group memberships for an external person reaches zero we could flag that record for removal from our Person Registry.

I'd be keenly interested, tho, in hearing how other people are thinking about handling de-provisioning for external users.

Do you want that information kept for all external users, or is it
only for certain groups?

On Behalf Of Steven Carmody