grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] RE: Different attribute that are the same for AD

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] RE: Different attribute that are the same for AD

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Gagné Sébastien <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] RE: Different attribute that are the same for AD
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 14:57:46 -0600

> I see, but in AttributeModifier you have two sections, one for Data
> Attribute modification and one for reference modifications.
> - Reference modification , which are used for members, don't even support
> replace operations, which makes sense for exactly the reason you stated.
> - "normal" attributes are single valued and should be replaced by default.

Yes, but, if you look at psp.xml, isMemberOf is an <attribute /> not a
<reference />. Not all <attribute/>s are single valued. Sure,
isMemberOf might should be a <reference />, but in the example
configurations I presented another option.

Whether <attribute/> or <reference/>, the point is, don't replace lots
of values frequently. Indexing and whatnot on the ldap server will
probably suffer.

> An interesting bit I found while digging in the code is the "replaceValue"
> attribute for attributes, this isn't documented anywhere, it's not even in
> the modification's "toString" method (while all the other attributes are
> there)

The primary documentation for the configuration, besides javadoc, is
the psp.xsd.

> Maybe a better solution would be to add the default value replaceValue to
> the configuration file ?

The default value is set to "false" in psp.xsd. In other words, if the
replaceValues attribute is not present in psp.xml, the default value
in psp.xsd is used.

> Thank you for your time.

Thank your for your patience :-)