grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes, Grouper call 5-Dec-2012

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] Draft Minutes, Grouper call 5-Dec-2012

  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes, Grouper call 5-Dec-2012
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:46:21 -0500

Draft Minutes, Grouper call 5-Dec-2012

Attending:

Tom Barton, U. Chicago (chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Shilen Patel, Duke
Michael Girgis, U. Chicago
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) contact PaulC about participation in the Social to SAML Gateway pilot
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/socialid/Social-to-SAML+Gateway+FAQ

[AI] (MichaelG) will share basic screen design ideas with the Grouper core team

[AI] (Chris) update the services wiki page, incorporating the concepts of phases and use cases.
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Organizing+services+in+Grouper

[AI] (Chris) email the users list for partners to help complete the UNIX GID work
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Integer+IDs+on+Grouper+objects

[AI] (Shilen) start a design wiki for the legacy attribute migration

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Emily) reach out to frequent contributors on the list for refreshing the case studies

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (SteveO) engage Andrew about capturing download info

[AI] (unassigned) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning

[AI] (unassigned) put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

DISCUSSION

Grouper UI Work

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

- Michael reported that his team has wrapped up user interviews with 8 Grouper users
- From the interviews, they got good guiding principals
- have updated some of the principals / usability guidelines on the UI redesign wiki page
- things that came up over and over again
     - be consistent w navigation, especially the breadcrumb
     - providing confirmation of success when you complete a task

- Michael's group has identified key tasks to test against for beginnning and intermediate users
-  see "Key Tasks for User Testing" on the wiki  https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

- have taken first pass at what the new Grouper UI might look like
- had concerns with whether the expert use cases would be satisfied by what we were coming up with

- So retain the Admin UI as is for now
- for 2.2 release: ship the Admin UI as is, so we retain the functionality that experts are used to

- Add to and enhance the membership management part of the LITE UI
- especially, improve navigation
- this would be targeted towards basic and intermediate UI

-potential long-term strategy is: add to and improve the new UI , so eventually it could replace the ADMIN UI and has all the functionality we are looking for

Chris:

- be sure the new Membership LITE UI is backwards compatible
- people linking to the LITE UI now need to be able to maintain those links
-  be aware that some of the functionality, such as permissions and attribute framework, is only available in the LITE (AJAX) UI  (not in the ADMIN UI)

Q:  At FMM in Philadelphia, the CMU Grouper team showed TomB what they had done in 5 days with improving the ADMIN UI
- they got to a more usable ADMIN UI, it was an improvement for a modest investment
- do we want to try to improve our ADMIN UI?
A: MichaelGirgis: No, did a Skype call and saw how the CMU work reduced clutter, took pieces out
- by talking things out, they made some things unavailable.
- If we did what CMU did to the ADMIN UI, it would take us off our primary focus
- they reduced clutter in the ADMIN UI, but didn't solve all the navigation issues

Q: TomB: Can we keep some of the LITE UI code base?