grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper-dev call 7-Dec-2011

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper-dev call 7-Dec-2011

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Emily Eisbruch <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper-dev call 7-Dec-2011
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 21:15:40 +0000

--On 07 December 2011 16:07 -0500 Emily Eisbruch <> wrote:

[AI] (Gary) will look at the issue of paging in the Admin UI

I've looked at this again and still don't see a *paging* issue - The UI appears to correctly page based on whatever number of results are returned by the API - it doesn't care about what may have been discarded.

I did find one inconsistency in the code. The UI does subject searches in two classes:
1) DoSearchSubjectAction
2) SearchNewMembersAction

The former has:
results=source.search(processedSearchTerm);
but should have:
results=SubjectFinder.findPage(processedSearchTerm,sourceId).getResults();

I'm not convinced by the semantics of:

<!-- if more than this many results are returned, then throw a too many subjects exception -->
<init-param>
<param-name>maxResults</param-name>
<param-value>1000</param-value>
</init-param>

<!-- on a findPage() this is the most results returned -->
<init-param>
<param-name>maxPageSize</param-name>
<param-value>40</param-value>
</init-param>

(I set maxPageSize to 40 down from 100 for testing.)

I think Chris was saying to ignore maxResults - in which case it should be removed from the sample sources.xml. I can then see that you can do:

SearchPageResult spr = null;
spr = SubjectFinder.findPage(searchTerm);
results = spr.getResults();
if(spr.isTooManyResults()) {
request.setAttribute("message",
new Message("error.too.many.subject.results",true));
}

That way the retrieved results are shown but the user is alerted to the fact the result set was truncated (error message might make that clearer)

Chris: if that is what you want it is an easy enough change. If you still think there is a UI paging issue you'll have to come up with a screenshot...

Gary

GW Brown, IT Services