grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] grouper 2.0 subject issue

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] grouper 2.0 subject issue

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] grouper 2.0 subject issue
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:27:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

When I do a findall (e.g. UI search) for something that returns 1000+ Subjects (which I have as my maxResults) in my sources.xml, it gives an exception.  It is supposed to throw a SubjectTooManyResults exception which is caught in UI and displayed on the screen.  I could fix this immediate problem, but I kind of think that there should be another method in the source called searchPage(searchString) which is just like search, but if the source has a

    <init-param>

      <param-name>maxPageSize</param-name>

      <param-value>100</param-value>

    </init-param>

Then on a searchPage(), only 100 results are returned, in addition it will say if there are more or not.  The UI could just show the 100, and the user would narrow their search.  This seems better than showing nothing and having them narrow their search.  One reason is if the search string matches a subjectId or subjectIdentifier, it goes to the top.  If the subjectIdentifier is “fred”, and that returns more than 100 results, but the netId “fred” is at the top of the list, the user is happy…  this is for 2.0.2

I discussed this with Shilen and his reaction was positive J

Thoughts?

  • [grouper-dev] grouper 2.0 subject issue, Chris Hyzer, 10/28/2011