grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper-provided Entities

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper-provided Entities

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Jim Fox <>, Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper-provided Entities
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:48:20 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

> It seems to me wasteful and unnecessarily complex to build a new
> subject source inside grouper that mostly duplicates an already
> workable subject source mechanism. An automated process presents
> some credential, let's say an x509 certificate. An off-the-shelf
> jdbc subject source easily manages subjects that have the CNs of
> the certificates as names, or ids, or whatever. It requires nothing
> new except a means to update the database of automated clients---not
> a difficult task.

In addition to what Shilen said, this feature is different from adding a new
jdbc source in the following ways:

1. You have to be the grouper admin to add a jdbc source, if you are a lowly
department programmer, and you want to add some entities, then you will have
to ask your central grouper admin, and more than likely, it will either be
painful to do this, or they will say no. Or you can create groups to
represent entities which can be confusing.

2. With a jdbc source, there is no security. Other people who don't care
about your entities can look them up and see them

Im not sure what we should do about subject search performance... I kind of
think we should do fork/join for each source, and not single threaded... :)