grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper-provided Entities

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper-provided Entities

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper-provided Entities
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:19:34 -0700 (PDT)

In general I prefer improvements that help rather than hinder
performance.

It seems to me wasteful and unnecessarily complex to build a new
subject source inside grouper that mostly duplicates an already
workable subject source mechanism. An automated process presents
some credential, let's say an x509 certificate. An off-the-shelf
jdbc subject source easily manages subjects that have the CNs of
the certificates as names, or ids, or whatever. It requires nothing
new except a means to update the database of automated clients---not
a difficult task.

My second comment is that this capability, even if I don't use
it, will slow down grouper. For example, changing the name of
a stem will require a search for downstream subjectIdentifiers.
This might be a small, even trivial concern, but let me remind
you of the published comparison of performance between grouper
1.6 and 2.0. As I recall 2.0 is 'only' 15-20% slower than 1.6.
A couple more upgrades like that and it won't run at all.

An example of an improvement that does address performance is the
recent addition of sort and search attributes to member records.
This allows for much faster and easier selecting and sorting of members and subjects. That's what I'd like to see more of.

Jim