grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] RE: grouper 2.2 ui redsign

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] RE: grouper 2.2 ui redsign

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: "McDermott, Michael" <>
  • Cc: Chris Hyzer <>, Nathan Kopp <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] RE: grouper 2.2 ui redsign
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:55:53 -0700 (PDT)

2.       Javascript is obviously necessary, but if you don’t have to
write Javascript for each new UI piece (only at a framework
level), then I think your app will be more likely to work across
various browsers that you didn’t test for each UI piece

Javascript frameworks, being closer to web developers and their world, are
probably more likely to be cross browser compatible than and Java
Server based framework.

I've also found that javascript frameworks are generally more cross browser compatible than my own javascrpt code.

3.       The UI has its own web services which are not packages into an
unchanging API, but using the Grouper WS for the main admin UI
would either be too limiting or not performant enough I think…

The sentiment I pull from Jim's comment is that if you have a robust web
service API, it sets web developers free to do what they want to do.  I
understand the concern about performance, but it may well be the case where
the performance concerns come into play is where the MVC/Model2 layer
all sit on the server. This may not be the case in a javascript based
application, the web services serve as a back end for the model layer which
reside at the client.

We have on occasion extended the API for more efficiency at the browser, but we have always kept our RESTful model. It happens often that, once the resources are loaded into the app, most actions are handled at the browser. That results in a significant improvement in response time for
many common user interactions.

Jim