grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] remind me : java 1.6 or 1.5 ?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] remind me : java 1.6 or 1.5 ?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <>, Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] remind me : java 1.6 or 1.5 ?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:55:08 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

The history is, at the previous hibernate upgrade (2008? 2009?), hibernate
stopped shipping with dbcp, and it still doesn't. So we switched it to c3p0.
I agree that both work fine, I think c3p0 has more useful options than dbcp,
but I don't remember the specifics. There is a pooling interface to
implement where any pool can be used. Its not just a datasource since I
think it is useful to be able to remove connections from the pool if there is
an error without having to test it on every checkout or checking, but maybe
that is just me :) I don't think we will change how the pooling works at
this point, we haven't had any problems with it. But to reduce the number of
pools that the Subject API ships with, we might as well get rid of DBCP...
people can resurrect that connector if they want, or switch to c3p0 if they
haven't already. A majority of the institutions are just using the db
provider that uses whatever Grouper uses, which is c3p0, so they wont have to
worry about it.