Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 3-Aug-2011

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

[grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 3-Aug-2011

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 3-Aug-2011
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:03:59 -0400

Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 3-Aug-2011


Tom Barton, University of Chicago (chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania  
Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke
Lynn Garrison, Penn State
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Steve Olshansky, Internet2

**Carry Over Action Items**

[AI] (Shilen) will talk with uPortal folks about Grouper uPortal integration, and will keep Jean Marie in the loop. 

[AI] (Chris) will investigate putting the OpenConext Teams UI on the Grouper demo site. 

[AI] (Chris) will implement member search and sort in the Lite UI  

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (TomZ and Chris) will discuss/work on LDAP Grouper Loader for importing groups. JIRA 442  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

Reminder:   Agendize Grouper UI strategy


OSIdM4HE Face-to-Face Meeting during the week of August 8

  • Open Source IdM for Higher Ed meeting will take place week of August 8 in Chicago
  • About 17 people will participate
  • Motivated by desire for a complete IdM solution (a good single option) for higher ed
  • This is a community effort to identify the gaps and develop a plan
  • Will work on a roadmap
  • ChrisH, TomZ, and TomB will be the Grouper experts in attendance
  • There may be an impact on the Grouper roadmap
  • Some report will emerge from the meeting

Grouper Training at Penn

• On Aug. 1, Chris gave 7 hours of Grouper training to the Central IT staff at Penn.
• Chris presented three hours of how to do admin (audience was 3 people)
• And 4 hours of how to use the UI and the client, etc. (audience was 20 people)
• This training was based on the presentation given prior to the Jasig Conference in May 2011, but customized for how Penn's deployment works
• This training was well received
• The training was videoed. Chris will try to get permission to post the video
• Training was done with Grouper 2.0. There was an issue with display of users. This has been fixed since.
       •  In September 2011, Chris will give the user training at Penn for IT departments that are not part of central IT

Releasing Grouper v2.0

Chris is working on two open issues:

- validation for limits in web service
- doing Grouper 2.0 testing as a normal user (not as an admin)

Also there are issues must be addressed due to unit tests that do not work yet

Lite UI Testing -- 
- Better not to be an admin when doing testing.

(SteveO) and (Lynn) and (TomB) will test the Lite UI and report issues via JIRA


- JIRA 608 is on hold until Gary has more time
- JIRA 624 is done
- Chris suggests that all JIRAs get pushed forward except 625 and 627

- JIRA 526 on subject improvements in Grouper in Lite UI would be good to complete. Shilen will work on that if possible.

- JIRA 492 on XML is important

Chris noted that after this release, it will be necessary to review the XML export to be sure point in time and other new features are included

XML Export Doc

Shilen noted that there is a problem with the wiki documentation regarding XML export.  The old and new methods are documented together and it's not clear.

(Chris) will fix the wiki documentation on XML export.

This page must be reviewed, especially the command line arguments that refer to the older approach:

 Info for press release

Based on the info here:

SteveO suggested a high level summary for managers and a more technical version for technical folks.
SteveO and TomB will work on this.

Lynn noted that Penn State is interesting in testing the permissions management capabilities included in Grouper 2.0 .
 They are also interested in real-time LDAP PC capabilities, planned to be included in Grouper 2.1.

Wiki Documentation

Lynn will help look over the product pages.

Need to be sure that old pages are replaced by new where needed


Testing of the Grouper 2.0 release will proceed according to the steps outlined here:

Shilen will complete the upgrade page and the change log page at 


Shilen will inform the Grouper-core list when he is done with the upgrade steps page.

Target Dates

Aim for wrapping up on 11-August and pre-release on 12-August.

Thanks to the whole team for their efforts on Grouper 2.0

Next Call: Wed. 17-Aug-2011 at noon ET

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Visit our website:
Follow us on Twitter:
Become a Fan on Facebook:


  • [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 3-Aug-2011, Emily Eisbruch, 08/12/2011

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page