grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] search and sort columns on member table

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] search and sort columns on member table

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Jim Fox <>, Shilen Patel <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] search and sort columns on member table
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:20:42 -0400

> > I believe indexes on the sort columns should help in some cases. For
> > instance, if you're sorting and paging at the same time. Though if we
> > find
> > out that the benefit is small and folks would rather save the database
> > space,
> > we can leave them off.
>
> My thinking is that paging results in sorts of a only few hundred records.

Yeah, but it needs to sort all the records and take a page of them, so an
index would help there... right?

In other words, if the records are:

R, F, Q, J, M, T, X

And you want the second page of size two, then if it is indexed, then it
knows the order is:

F, J, M, Q, R, T, X

And if it knows that, then all it has to do is know the size (7), and the
second page of size two is records index 2 and 3 (starting at 0).

If it doesn't know the order, then it needs to order them and do the same
thing, which is harder.