grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] search and sort columns on member table

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] search and sort columns on member table

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] search and sort columns on member table
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:18:14 -0400

I've updated the wiki page after talking to Chris last week. Let me know if there are anymore comments.

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Member+search+and+sort+columns

Thanks!

-- Shilen

On 3/25/11 11:03 AM, Shilen Patel wrote:
Hi Chris,

I had assumed that the values in the sort and search columns would be
attributes, but it would be flexible since you can make virtual
attributes in the sources.xml file. Is there a reason not to make them
all attributes? Do they need to be marked as "internal" somehow so they
don't get seen anywhere else? So this would work for g:gsa for instance:

<init-param>
<param-name>subjectVirtualAttribute_0_attr0</param-name>
<param-value>${subject.getAttributeValue('name')},${subject.getAttributeValue('id')},${subject.getAttributeValue('displayName')},${subject.getAttributeValue('description')}</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>searchAttribute0</param-name>
<param-value>attr0</param-value>
</init-param>

That way, each of the search columns (for both people and groups) can be
either a single attribute or multiple attributes delimited by
something. For your case with a single search box that maintains
security, there could be an API method with a boolean
useDefaultSearchCol and a config option that lists the order.

search.defaultIndexOrder=2,1,0

So if you have access to the first one (searchString2), then that would
be used. Otherwise, try the next and so forth. searchString0 would be
the most public.

Maybe a config option for default sorting as well..

sort.defaultIndex=0

And yes, sorting using a sort column should exclude results that have a
null value for that column.

Thanks!

-- Shilen