grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] external members with targeted id

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] external members with targeted id

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>, Keith Hazelton <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] external members with targeted id
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 07:37:54 -0700

Ø  The discussion comes up at UW as to what "no restrictions" means when applied to readership of a group, although it sounds awfully obvious to me.  There is some confusion as to whether the world in "world read" means the local outfit or something like 'world'.

Good point.  Well, world read is constrained by who can log in to the application… i.e. would the external person be able to log in to the Grouper WS?  The admin portion of the UI?  Etc?  Each has its own ACLs, so even if world readable, it is limited to people who can use the applicationexposing it…  if you let externals SSO to WS or manage groups with the admin UI then they would be able to read GrouperAll readable groups.

Right.  That's what it means to me and you, and we do expect to let federated users to login to our webservice.  However, it's what 'world' means to our users.  Presently some might think it means just UW.  Whereas I'd like it to mean an ever increasing population that can login.

Jim