grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] recent SPML activity

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] recent SPML activity

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] recent SPML activity
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:32:10 -0500

>> The question remains whether any vendors will implement, but the difference
>> these days (seems to me) is there's a lot more provisioning into cloud
>> services going on, motivating a standards-based approach in a way that trad
>> products for enterprise deployment (eg, well, Grouper) doesn't.
>>
>>  - RL "Bob"

On the PSTC call today, a question arose (paraphrasing) "what
distinguishes provisioning a cloud service from a non-cloud service ?"

A nice answer would be "standardization", but the two cloud services
I'm interested in provisioning groups to, Google Apps and Microsoft's
Live@edu
(I haven't even looked at Facebook APIs), don't natively
support SPML (yet ?).

However, standardizing attributes (ala inetOrgPerson) seems to have
consensus as a good idea, and apparently was slated for post SPMLv2
work but was dropped. Standardized attribute exchange across
organizations might be accomplished via a default (but optional) SPML
schema. I would think there's lots of expertise here (in higher-ed)
regarding such attribute work.

I've cc'd the newly formed
<>
list - apologies