grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] recent SPML activity

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] recent SPML activity

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] recent SPML activity
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:48:48 -0700 (PDT)

If folks haven't seen it:

http://blog.talkingidentity.com/2010/08/pushing-forward-on-standards-based-provisioning.html

http://blogs.gartner.com/mark-diodati/2010/08/20/consensus-on-the-future-of-standards-based-provisioning-and-spml

Some notes on SPML discussions at the recent Burton/Gartner Catalyst meeting. Sounds like the OASIS SPML TC:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=provision

is being revived. I also see that a couple of HE folks attended the discussion at Catalyst. If we have requirements that the current SPML spec isn't meeting, this would be a great time to surface them.

The question remains whether any vendors will implement, but the difference these days (seems to me) is there's a lot more provisioning into cloud services going on, motivating a standards-based approach in a way that trad products for enterprise deployment (eg, well, Grouper) doesn't.

- RL "Bob"