Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] ?? Grouper Call today ??

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Re: [grouper-dev] ?? Grouper Call today ??

Chronological Thread 
  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Steve Olshansky <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] ?? Grouper Call today ??
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 14:50:49 +0100

Hi Steve,

I can make a call.


--On 12 May 2010 07:31 -0600 Steve Olshansky

Hi All-
I believe Tom is traveling today. Is there critical mass for a call?
Continue planning discussions for the next release? Or other?


On Apr 21, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Emily Eisbruch wrote:

Grouper Call 14-Apr-2010

Tom Barton, U. Chicago (Chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Ron Hebron, Cardiff University
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch (scribe)

*New Action Items*

[AI] (Chris and SteveO) will discuss setting up a test instance of

[AI] (Rob) will send information to the list about rule-based actions.

[AI] (TomB) will create a list of performance issues for discussion

[AI] (Rob) will look at issues relating to testing the ESB Connector.

[AI] (SteveO) will provide Rob with SVN credentials.

Note: Grouper 1.6 Code Freeze is Friday May 7


*Grouper Release Procedures*

The release procedures worked reasonably well for the Grouper 1.5.3.
release. An initial issue of a missing library was fixed.

It was suggested that for each release someone on the dev team (to be
selected on a rotation) should check out all the packages and do a build
and a quick start. Possibly the built version could then be used as a
demo/test version.

[AI] (Chris and SteveO) will discuss setting up a test instance of

*Use of Grouper-Dev List*

A discussion of an issue involving composite groups led to the
suggestion that all emails about programming issues should be sent to
the entire grouper-dev list so that everyone is up to speed during

*Topics for Sunday Evening Grouper-Dev dinner at SMM*

- Roadmap, design issues

- Coordinate on Grouper 1.6 issues

- Rule Engines -- see Rob's info at

License issues -- Chris and TomZ will work on these during the SMM, but
probably not during the Sunday dinner.

Opportunities to meet the community and shmooze at SMM were discussed.

*Plan for Grouper Working Group Session at SMM*

-Overhead, agenda build

-Roadmap discussion 15 minutes

-New Grouper priv. mgmt features to manage access in Active Directory.
(Shilen and Rob) 15 min.

-What's New with Grouper 1.6. (Chris and TomZ) 30 minutes - Grouper
Kim workflow - Notification proof of concept demo.
- demo using web services to define permissions.
- TomZ on Ldappc - ng (start with recap, clarify that Grouper data
connection for Shib is included)

- Issues posed by attendees


Due to the full agenda, there won't be an presentation on performance
issues at the SMM Grouper WG session. TomB will create a list of
performance issues to think about later, possibly including:

-Impact of Flattened Memberships on performance and queries

- Write operations for group management
(affects composite groups)

- Rendering memberships of extremely large groups

- Should limited queries be allowed to increase response time, i.e.,
"give me all groups that Joe belongs to but only in a particular stem

[AI] (TomB) will create a list of performance issues for discussion

*Grouper 1.6 Release*

Rob's ESB connector work will be included in the release of Grouper 1.6,
with a caveat that it is experimental.

Integration testing for the ESB connector is complex, involving systems
beyond Grouper itself. What about using web services to test, or adding
a servlet in the web XML?

[AI] (Rob) will look at issues relating to testing the ESB Connector.

It was noted that ldappc also poses challenges for end to end testing.

[AI] (SteveO) will provide Rob with SVN credentials.

Friday May 7 is the code freeze for Grouper 1.6

There will be a special "off week" call to discuss the release on Wed.
May 5.

Next Meeting: At Internet2 Spring Member Meeting, Monday, April 26,
10:30am - noon

Next Call: Wed. May 12, noon ET

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst

office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Internet2 Spring Member Meeting
April 26-28, 2010 - Arlington, Virginia

Steve Olshansky
Internet2 Middleware & Security Flywheel

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page