grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: external people as group members

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: external people as group members

  • From: Peter Schober <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: external people as group members
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:41:56 +0200

* Shilen Patel
<>
[2010-04-19 16:35]:
> So I'm thinking there may be two classes of external people. First are
> those that are members of an institution that's in the same federation
> as the SP (Grouper instance). And second, those that are not. The
> second case can be more complicated since it would involve local
> accounts, potentially some type of approval, an expiration potentially,
> etc... It seems like you're trying to solve the first case, right? And
> leave the second case for the IDM to handle (in Duke's case giving
> external accounts that can be used with our external IdP)?

The place for storing identity data about your second class of people
does not need to be the institutions IdM system (and I also don't
think these belong in Grouper) -- it could also be an "open" IdP
somewhere else.
At least as long as the data there is self-asserted anyway you might
as well accept identities from openidp.org or openidp.feide.org (or
whatever) just the same.
-peter