grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: external people as group members

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: external people as group members

  • From: Niels van Dijk <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: external people as group members
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:31:57 +0200

Hi

The issue of Duke is *very* familiar.
We took a little bit different approach: We introduced a Guest IdP
(basically a LDAP + lightweight GUI). The Guest IdP has it's own
provisioning for users. So the person stuff is all in the Guest IdP.
Next we had that 'IdP' talk SAML. Our Gui for grouper supports saml
based authentication for both federation users as well as the Guest IdP.
We use institution ID + userID to uniquely reference all users in
Grouper. (My UID would be SURFnet.niels, my guest uid would be
SURFGuest.niels)
We allow mixed guest/non-guest groups, as long as the group admin is not
a guest. We do not allow guest only groups.

I seem to have missed the start of this discussion, but what is the
business case for adding people data into Grouper? Isn't that what
Identity Management systems are for?

A bit offtopic on doc sharing:
For a good document sharing system, do you need a collab platfom?
Take a look at Alfresco, it can be made to do federated identity and
(grouper) groups quit easily (i have some code available if you want
it.) For sharing (large) files, perhaps filesender (www.filesender.org)
is what you want?

regards,
Niels

--
Niels van Dijk
Advanced Services

T: +31 302 305 337 / M: +31 651 347 657
SURFnet - PO Box 19035 - NL-3501 DA Utrecht - The Netherlands -

http://www.surfnet.nl
SURFnet - We make innovation work