grouper-dev - incremental provisioning theory

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

incremental provisioning theory

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: incremental provisioning theory
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:54:11 -0600

I'm not sure how to provision a subset of a provisioned attribute's values.

We've been calling this incremental provisioning, likely based on the
changelog. For example, "add member M to group G field F".

Ldappc-ng gets the attributes to provision from the shib attribute
resolver, which is able to calculate a single attribute (and all of
its values), but not necessarily an attribute and only one of its
values.

This is a likely a performance problem for provisioned attributes with
a large number of values, for example, a group with many members.

I think it's possible to modify the "data context" passed to the shib
attribute resolver and its behavior to support this kind of
provisioning, however I have not attempted to.

There's more I can say, but I think I should stop here for comments.

TomZ