Subject: Grouper Developers Forum
- From: Emily Eisbruch <>
- To: Grouper Dev <>
- Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 25-Nov-09
- Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:23:55 -0500
Grouper Call 25-Nov-09
Gary Brown, Bristol
R.L. “Bob” Morgan, U. Chicago
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
**Carry Over Action Items**
[AI] (TomZ) will do further testing of Postgress and registry and inform Chris of issues.
[AI] (Chris) will look into issues around the hash character in Java and investigate using a question mark for cases in which authentication doesn’t handle the hash mark.
[AI] (TomZ) will send a link about the Java 6 approach and the invoker.
[AI] (Shilen) will run web service and client tests.
[AI] (TomZ) will add a testing table to the wiki.
[AI ] (Everyone) update the upgrade change log wiki page as needed re jars and config files, and upgrade instructions.
[AI] (Shilen) will document namespace transition in the wiki.
[AI] (Chris) will document roles and permissions and attribute framework in the wiki.
[AI] (Chris) will document Grouper Loader, its new role for audit, notifications, enable/disable dates, and how to monitor it in the wiki.
[AI] (Shilen) will document Upgrade Steps in the wiki.
[AI] (Chris) will document the new Lite UI in the wiki.
[AI] (Tom) will create Release Notes.
[AI] (SteveO) will update website and wiki as needed for Grouper 1.5.0 release.
*Grouper 1.5 Release Discussion*
Most or all coding for the Grouper 1.5.0 release is complete.
There is a question as to whether TomZ still needs to work on the Jira about the build process and spring integration.
Following up on a recent email:
Chris will enter a JIRA item to investigate whether the database supports transactions on startup.
*Documentation and Packaging*
Documentation is ongoing and can be viewed at:
All the new documentation wiki pages must begin with “v1.5.0”
Chris will document membership end dates and expiry, and note that the XML exporter/importer does not currently handle that information.
Gary will make the quickstart after tagging and labeling.
At the Kuali Days Conference in San Antonio, Nov. 17-18, Chris met with Eric , Gary and others and had productive discussions on how Kuali would delegate to Grouper.
Chris will make some changes to the Grouper Client to increase efficiency in handling Kuali Rice groups.
For example, Kuali Rice is able to retrieve items from a group in a way that Grouper currently does not (e.g. retrieval of non-group members of a group, and retrieval of just groups that are members of a group). Chris can change the Grouper Client and web services to handle this.
Kuali Rice's handling of namespaces varies a little from Grouper’s but we can design around that.
Chris has implemented some of the needed changes to the Grouper Client and has more work to do.
The integration will require a Grouper Client JAR and a connector JAR and a configuration file
to be placed in the Kuali Rice implementation. There will also be changes needed to a few Kuali configuration files in order to delegate from Kuali Rice to Grouper. No other changes seem to be needed on the Kuali side. The Kuali Rice team is thinking about changing caching behavior however.
Kuali has a one level deep folder structures. A folder in Grouper will be assigned to be the Kuali folder. If in the future, there is a use case for an institution needing a more complex folder structure, we could introduce a configuration with specific mapping.
Q: Where does web services come into play?
A: The Grouper Client is a one JAR component that talks REST web services to Grouper web services. It’s necessary to be running web services for the Grouper integration with Kuali RICE to work.
Chris will document the changes he is making for this Grouper integration with Kuali Rice.
He will detail the differences between handling of groups in Kuali and Grouper and how those gaps are being bridged.
Chris already wrote and submitted a Kuali Rice quickstart document that has been posted on the Kuali wiki.
Institutions testing the Grouper and Kuali Rice integration could include U. Penn, U-W, and University of Arizona.
Next Meeting: Wed. December 9, noon ET
- Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 25-Nov-09, Emily Eisbruch, 12/02/2009
- Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 25-Nov-09, Tom Barton, 12/02/2009
- Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 25-Nov-09, Tom Zeller, 12/03/2009
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.