grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] too many users returned from subject source

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] too many users returned from subject source

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] too many users returned from subject source
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:53:31 -0500

Peter Schober wrote:
* Tom Barton
<>
[2009-09-24 22:55]:
Typical LDAP servers have configurable limits on number of returns
per query and on overall processing time per query. Sometimes they
also vary by who's asking. But there's no way to request a limit in
the LDAP protocol per se.

Sure there is: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4511#section-4.5.1

"LDAP clients can specify their own size and time limits when issuing
search operations. This feature has been present since the earliest
version of X.500."
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/limits.html

Wow, you're right, of course. I guess I left off thinking about ldap in terms of ldap URLs, many moons ago. Can you specify a limit with an ldap URL?

Regardless, Chris, Peter's answer means the jndi subject implementation can also include a configurable return limit.