grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] too many users returned from subject source

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] too many users returned from subject source

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] too many users returned from subject source
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:26:35 +0100

Sounds OK to me if the limit is configurable.

Gary

--On 23 September 2009 21:03 -0400 Chris Hyzer <> wrote:

Hey,

We have a subject search field which includes in the user is active or
not active. So if someone searches for "active" (actually, this is the
"filter" in the lite ui, which I should change the label to "search"
instead of "filter"), then the subject API returns hundreds of thousands
of results (since it matches "active" and "not active" and our tomcat
runs out of memory. I kind of think subject sources should have a config
option (optional) where it can throw an exception if too many results are
returned (e.g. we might set ours to 1000). So for instance in a JDBC
source, it could do a count(*), if the count is ok, do the query. Or it
could do the query, and cycle through the resultset until the limit, and
throw the exception before continuing (this is probably preferable).
This would be a subclass of RuntimeException so it wouldn't affect the
compilation of other people's code. Then UI's could catch that exception
and tell the user to narrow the search. I think we would need to add
code to handle that exception in the lite UI and the regular UI. I can
implement this in the jdbc2 source. Not sure what is possible for jndi
sources. Thoughts?

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing