Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 16-Sep-09

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 16-Sep-09

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 16-Sep-09
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:25:00 -0400

Grouper Call 16-Sep-09



Tom Barton, U. Chicago (chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke  
James Cramton, University of Arizona
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn  
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis  
Ann West, EDUCAUSE/Internet2 
Steve Olshansky, Internet2 
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)   

*New Action Items*

[AI] (TomB, TomZ, Shilen, and Chris) will develop FMM presentations of 
5-7 minutes, with one or more slides, in these areas: 

TomB – Grouper Roadmap
Chris – Looking for partners in areas of audit, namespace transition, and attribute framework
Chris – UI
TomZ – Ldappc
Shilen – Performance

[AI] (Shilen) will develop comparative performance metrics for Grouper 1.4.2 vs Grouper 1.5.

[AI] (Shilen) will get time estimates for upgrading to Grouper 1.5. 

*Carryover Action Items*

[AI] (Shilen) will work with Chris on web services versioning strategy. 

[AI] (Shilen) will do performance measurements related to factoring out effective memberships.

[AI] (Everyone) will update JIRA to accurately reflect the work being done. 


*Kuali Collaboration Meeting at FMM*

At Internet2 FMM, there will be a discussion with Eric Westfall from Kuali Rice on KIM interfaces with Grouper.
Wed. 7-Oct., 2:30-4:30 pm, Nueces Room.
This is a small group session, not on the published program.  

Plan is to finalize objectives of the project, and discuss:

1. How to integrate Grouper with Kuali apps and Kuali Rice
2. How much of the KIM service contract can be implemented by Grouper
3. Whether / how Grouper and/or KIM roadmaps should change in light of the collaboration

Q: Would KIM potentially delegate service calls to Grouper?

A: Yes

Q: Would this involve a separate web services application to implement KIM?

A: This is to be decided.

It will be important to review the Kuali KIM documentation before the 7-Oct-09 meeting. 

*Plan for Grouper WG Session at FMM*
Monday 5-Oct-09, 9:15 – 10:15 am

Possible Topics:

- Grouper Roadmap and 1.5 Release, including getting people’s input – (TomB)

- Audit, notification, namespace transition, and attribute framework – looking for partners – people who want to leverage the new capabilities (Chris)

- UI – Chris 

- Ldappc – TomZ

- Performance (impact of new handling of indirect membership on database size, etc.) – Shilen

[AI] (Shilen) will develop comparative performance metrics for Grouper 1.4.2 vs Grouper 1.5.

- Upgrading to Grouper 1.5 – (Shilen)

[AI] (Shilen) will get time estimates for upgrading to Grouper 1.5. 

- Collaborations between products (if there is time)

   - COmanage
   - uPortal in France
   - Kuali KIM

- Topics from Audience - Open

Suggestion to move some of the topics from the WG session to Chris’s Track session on Tuesday due to limited time at WG session. Save detailed info on these topics for Chris’s track session.

- Notification
- Audit 
- Namespace transition 
- UI Lite

Chris will include info in early part of his Track Session presentation about uptake of Grouper, including mention of Dutch and JISC collaborations.

*Status on Lite UI*

Chris stated that in Grouper 1.5, user should be able to experiment with the new Lite UI in same web application as existing UI. Chris will do more "tweaking" and the goal is to improve integration and consolidate common functions (log in, log out, navigation) so they are shared between the old and the new Lite UI.  Properties files are already shared.

The AJAX framework in the new Lite UI will be a benefit going forward. 

Eventually it could make sense to come up with a stand-alone widget related to web services, like a Fluid component.  

*Membership Enable and Delete Dates in Grouper 1.5*

Shilen and Chris have been working on membership enable and disable dates, and this will be ready for Grouper 1.5. This will allow delays on membership changes using hooks, which will address some use cases and U Penn and possibly elsewhere. 


There have been fixes to existing Ldappc for performance.

The new Ldappc is in CVS. It's undecided whether to bundle the new Ldappc in Grouper 1.5, since it is still quite experimental.  In either case (whether new Ldappc is available in Grouper 1.5 or not), we can talk at FMM about “what’s up with the new Ldappc” and what it might look like.  Preview of things to come.

**Summary of Grouper-related sessions at FMM**

Grouper Working Group Session
Monday 5-Oct-09, 9:15 – 10:15 am

Grouper 1.5 : What’s New? A Lot
Tues. 6-Oct-09, 3:00 – 4:00 pm

Discussion with Eric Westfall from Kuali Rice re KIM interfaces with Grouper.
Wed. 7-Oct-09, 2:30-4:30 pm 

Identity Services for Open Source Software
Thurs., 7-Oct-09,  8:45 - 10:00 am

Next Call: Wed. 30-Sep-09, Noon ET   

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Fall 2009 Internet2 Member Meeting, October 5-8
Hosted by the University of Texas at San Antonio and LEARN

  • Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 16-Sep-09, Emily Eisbruch, 09/22/2009

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page