grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] membership update lite ui

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] membership update lite ui

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] membership update lite ui
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 08:35:20 +0100

--On 06 August 2009 00:54 -0400 Chris Hyzer

1) The build.xml menu isn't quite in sync with the target names -
grouper vs grouperJarAndConf

I changed grouperJarAndConf to grouper
Good

2) The build.xml doesn't actually compile anything or copy property
files to 'classes'. I assume Eclipse is doing this for you.

Right, this is the low-build dev env, you compile in eclipse, and you are
all good. If you install JavaRebel, then you do not need to restart
tomcat very often. I did add a "dist" target to build a war file for a
non-dev deployment.
I still think it is nice to have 'complete' build scripts - developers have different setups. Not important for now.

3) I had to look at the video to figure out the url - a top level index
file which redirects would be useful.

Done
Good

4) When you 'Change location' you are listing all groups and not
actually filtering on what the user has typed.

Done, though the current API method searches in group name, not display
name, we should add another api method for 1.5
Should be doable through the existing query interface - but works pretty well. Long group names do start to wrap awkwardly...

When I get a chance I'll try and get it to run in the current UI. Going
forward I can see us using more of this approach, but I would like to
retain some of the flexibility for choosing custom templates etc. Also,
I can see it being pragmatic to incrementally change the current UI
rather than attempt a complete rewrite in one go. I haven't looked at
the code in
any great detail but I'm sure we can come up with something that suits
us both.

Sounds good. I would like to see some example requirements for UI
customizations to see what the options for this sort of thing... maybe
there is a simpler way to do this...
I'll have a look at what I have done in the past and we can canvas the dev list. I'm pretty sure that we can make it possible to directly specify the 'preferred' template but have a mechanism which allows a site to override it. That way the out-of-the box UI would be much more 'defined'

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing