grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] membership update lite ui

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] membership update lite ui

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] membership update lite ui
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:37:47 +0100

Chris,

This looks excellent!

I did have a few problems getting it to run locally, but got there in the end:

1) The build.xml menu isn't quite in sync with the target names - grouper vs grouperJarAndConf
2) The build.xml doesn't actually compile anything or copy property files to 'classes'. I assume Eclipse is doing this for you.
3) I had to look at the video to figure out the url - a top level index file which redirects would be useful.
4) When you 'Change location' you are listing all groups and not actually filtering on what the user has typed.

When I get a chance I'll try and get it to run in the current UI. Going forward I can see us using more of this approach, but I would like to retain some of the flexibility for choosing custom templates etc. Also, I can see it being pragmatic to incrementally change the current UI rather than attempt a complete rewrite in one go. I haven't looked at the code in any great detail but I'm sure we can come up with something that suits us both.

Gary

--On 05 August 2009 02:43 -0400 Chris Hyzer

Hey,

I decided I don't like any business logic written in Javascript, so the
idea of plain old web services for a UI was scrapped. I adopted an
improved version of an ajax library we use at Penn, which lets you
control the screen from Java, without javascript (the framework uses
javascript, but no additional javascript is needed for business logic).
It makes writing ajax applications very easy. It still uses web services
but they are UI specific.

Anyways, I made a screen movie so you can see the progress. Note you
need the free xvid codec:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/download/attachments/4588063/groupU
pdateLiteUi.avi

There is still work to do. Hopefully I will wrap it up soon. Lets think
about if we want to put it in with the existing UI. I think it will fit
quite nicely after a couple tweaks to get the library versions to match.

I updated the description and added some coding samples here:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+update+me
mberships+lite+UI

Regards,
Chris

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing