grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] lists of non-members lists for memberships?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] lists of non-members lists for memberships?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc: Tom Zeller <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] lists of non-members lists for memberships?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:48:07 -0400

We can add it to the long term wish list. As for use cases, I think its hard
to say since there is a workaround (just make a real group members list for
any group lists which need to be shared, and add that list to the lists).

But if you want an example, here it is.

For hierarchies, with rollups, sometimes lists are useful. So you could have
a group named "org123", and it has a subgroup in the hierarchy called
"org1234", and the orgs have lists: payrollRead, and payrollWrite. If
someone is added to the read or write list of the parent, it should be added
to the read/write list of the child. Without being able to add lists to
lists, then we need to make a group for every list of every group, which
defeats the purpose of having lists...