grouper-dev - lists of non-members lists for memberships?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

lists of non-members lists for memberships?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: lists of non-members lists for memberships?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:50:16 -0400

Ok, thinking about concatenating things, its now for me to make a feature
request and get rejected... :)

I think one of the reasons that "lists" in groups are not used very much is
that they are not reusable. If you have a group called classes:english110,
and there are three lists: members, assistants, profs, then the only one of
those lists you can add to another group is the members list. Of course you
could make three groups, and add those to the three lists, but that defeats
the purpose of the 3-way assignment (so you don't have to create that many
objects).

Should we consider adding the ability to add a list to another list? E.g.
add the classes:english110 profs list to the classes:english120 profs list?

I think one of the issues is the way we represent groups as subjects. Right
now we just have a subject source which looks at the groups table and uses
the groupId as the subjectId. We would need to some how concatenate the
groupId and the list name for the subjectId, or keep another table of group
lists with uuids (is this in the groupSet table perhaps???), or something...
anyways, if there isn't an easy way to do this, and/or there is little
interest, we can put this on the long term wishlist... :)