grouper-dev - add ability to delete a composite factor

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

add ability to delete a composite factor

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: add ability to delete a composite factor
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:30:40 -0400

Right now if you try to delete a group which is a composite factor, it throws
an error. We would like to handle this more gracefully. Here is the
proposal that the group team discuss at the member meeting. I left one
decision in there, we had discussed 3b, though I have a feeling that could be
a security problem, and that 3a might be more secure. If anyone has thoughts
let me know.

Add ability to delete a composite factor. Here is my proposal:

Add a concept of an emptyGroup in the grouper.properties. Sites should
configure a location for this, e.g. next to the wheel group. e.g.
etc:emptyGroup. There should be a check that no members are ever added this
this group. GrouperAll should be able to READ this group.

1. If it is a union composite, and a factor is deleted, then replace the
unioned deleted factor with the emptyGroup

2. If it is an intersection composite: then replace the intersected deleted
factor with the emptyGroup

3. Complement. If it is the left factor, then just replace that factor with
the emptyGroup. If it is the right factor then we have two choices:

a. replace both factors with the empty list
-or- b. just replace the right factor with the empty list

The right factor is the excludes list for a group, if that excludes list is
deleted (perhaps unbeknownst to the app using the composite), I think the
more practical thing to do (80/20 rule) is to just do "b". However, that
might unwittingly give more access to the resource than was intended, so the
most secure thing to do is to flag this as an error condition by doing "a".