grouper-dev - field cache performance

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

field cache performance

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: field cache performance
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 02:27:34 -0400

Let me know if it is ok.

The problem was that I was looking at performance issues with grouper, and I
saw a lot of queries to the grouper_fields table (this wasnt my main problem,
but it looked like something that needed addressing). If any code was
looking to see if a field exists (and it didnt), it would select all from the
grouper_fields table. Also certain operations like finding all fields by
type or group type would make queries.

I think this can be optimized, so now I just select all at least every
minute, and all the related queries go from the cache. If a field isnt
found, it doesnt select all from the DB. The cache time of default 1 minute
is configurable with ehcache. I deprecated the FieldDAO methods which select
all by type or group type since the FieldFinder methods can be used...

If we think people will add a field, and instantly expect to see it on the
UI, then we can print a message on GSH to wait a minute or something...

Thoughts?

Chris

  • field cache performance, Chris Hyzer, 03/26/2009