Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 12-Nov-08

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 12-Nov-08

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 12-Nov-08
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:07:17 -0500

*Grouper Call 12-Nov-08**




Tom Barton, Chair
Gary Brown, Bristol U.  
Shilen Patel, Duke 
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Bill Kasenchar, U. Penn 
James Cramton, Brown U.
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis  
Dave Donnelly, Stanford   
Ann West, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
Steve Olshansky, Internet2   
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)


*Carry Over Action Items*  


[AI] (TomB) will test using a build target to make a binary distribution of Grouper.


[AI] (TomZ) will investigate wisdom in the Spring Framework for binary release and directory structure. 


 [AI] (TomZ) will record membership problems discovered at U. Memphis as Jira items.



TomB announced that Kathryn Huxtable is no longer with Grouper project. She will be missed. Some gap now exists in coverage for topics Katherine was handling: Ldappc and aspects of Subject API.


- Grouper Release 1.4.0
Grouper 1.4.0 RC1 is close to ready. There is still tidying up and documentation to complete.


Chris stated that the Postgres DDL isn’t working. If it isn’t easy to fix, it might make sense to take views out of Postgres. TomB agreed, though he felt this issue should be solved fairly soon. 

TomB is not terribly concerned about the problem with Postgres and example sources XML; that problem is due to Postgres not supporting concat and users seem to be working around it when necessary.



- Documentation


Gary will make fixes needed to Java docs.


TomZ will update the gsh wiki page to reflect use of gsh instead of Ant.


TomZ will update the USDU page.


TomZ will work on readme.txt for both source and binary release.


Chris will work on a wiki page about upgrading to Grouper 1.4 from a previous release.


Chris will work on API Configuration documentation.


Gary will document XML import export.


Gary will work on API root directory documentation.


TomB will note that Ant v.7 is required.


- Naming for Wiki Pages
TomB noted that updates of existing Wiki Pages should start with “v1.4.0”  
Procedures to follow:
- Copy the current wiki page into a new one.


- Name new one “v1.4.0” <name of file>


- Write “current as of vers # “ at the top of the wiki page


The product pages should still display the Grouper 1.3 documentation for the time being (until the official release of Grouper 1.4).


- Audiences for Documentation


It's important to remember that there are two kinds of documentation readers:

1.  Those upgrading an earlier version of Grouper 

2. Those installing Grouper 1.4.0 from scratch.

- Binary Release

There was discussion about whether it is practical to do the binary release for RC1. The group decided it probably is feasible.

- Procedures and Target Dates


When code is frozen, tag it with an RC1


Target is to have everything tagged by Friday, Nov. 13 and to finish documentation and packaging over the weekend.


TomB will get announcement out sometime next week (the week of Nov. 17).


Call for 26-Nov-08 is cancelled.
Next Call: probably Wed., 10-Dec-08 at noon ET


  • Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 12-Nov-08, Emily Eisbruch, 11/14/2008

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page