Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 29-Oct-08

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 29-Oct-08

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 29-Oct-08
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:57:15 -0500

*Grouper Call 29-Oct-08**




Tom Barton, Chair
Gary Brown, Bristol U.  
Shilen Patel, Duke 
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Bill Kasenchar, U. Penn 
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis  
Dave Donnelly, Stanford   
Joy Veronneau, Cornell U.   
Ann West, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
Steve Olshansky, Internet2   
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)


*Carry Over Action Items*  


[AI] (TomB) will test using a build target to make a binary distribution of Grouper.


[AI] (TomZ) will investigate wisdom in the Spring Framework for binary release and directory structure. 


 [AI] (TomZ) will record membership problems discovered at U. Memphis as Jira items. 





*Open Issues for the Grouper 1.4.0 Release*


- GRP 168: Circular Membership and Composites


Shilen stated that the circular membership issue is fixed. The part of this issue that remains open deals with a circular type of membership path when composites are involved. After discussion, and after viewing Shilen’s diagram on Jira, it was decided to disallow membership paths between a composite factor and a composite group.


- GRP 15: Alter query filter workflow to restrict by scope before searching


Shilen reported that he has not yet started on this Jira item. It involves modifying query filters so they take scope into consideration during a query to the database. This could limit the number of entries coming back and potentially help performance. Shilen will do some performance testing before starting on this.



- GRP 180: add group detail in web services

Chris wondered if this is really needed for Grouper 1.4.0. The decision was that this could wait for a future release.

- GRP 178 : auto-creating "include" and "exclude" groups based on group type hook

This provides support for types, attributes, and hooks which facilitate easily setting up include and exclude membership lists.

Chris stated that when working from the loader, a naming convention is required to implement this, because while the UI works from overall group, the loader works from system of record group.


TomZ noted that a future enhancement to this include/exclude capability would be to make it as easy as possible for users/viewers to search for a group by name, without having to see include and exclude lists or groups.


Chris plans to put a page on the wiki showing how Penn uses the loader. This will give examples of those 2 queries.


Shilen: Will this require the Grouper loader or can it be done without it?


Chris: The include/exclude part can be done without Grouper Loader, but if you want to automatically bring in your org chart then you need the Grouper loader.


For automatic roll-ups, Chris explained that two queries will be needed: one that drives groups, and one that drives rollups.


- GRP 174: Re-importing repository fragments to a new location does not behave as expected



Gary has been looking into the issue. TomB noted that the work on this issue can pave the way towards namespace transition support, which will need to be addressed in the future.


- GRP 167: Centralize Utilities in GSH



Gary is working on this item. This idea is to do all command line activities with gsh and reduce or eliminate reliance on Ant. This is partly motivated by the desire to have a binary release of 1.4.0, which means Ant cannot be used. Also, the group agreed that the smaller and fewer the .bat and shell scripts, the better.


There was discussion on how to parse all arguments in gsh main.


*Grouper 1.4.0 Release*


The Grouper 1.4.0 release is scheduled for Friday, November 7.


Next Call: Wed., 12-Nov-08 at noon ET

  • Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 29-Oct-08, Emily Eisbruch, 11/05/2008

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page