grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] binaries in future releases?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] binaries in future releases?

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] binaries in future releases?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:06:15 +0100

Are you suggesting additional downloads to the ones we currently produce? Would there be no Java source in the binary distribution (other than in JAR files for convenient debugging)?

I'm not sure we really save any steps as targets such as db-init would compile source any way. Don't we pretty much change config files and run ant targets as it is?

For WS and UI, given the amount of configuration / customisation I'm not sure how much benefit there is to having a binary (WAR?) version.

Gary

--On 15 August 2008 07:52 -0500 Tom Barton

In keeping with reducing, if just a little, the number of steps it takes
to get grouper up and running, I think it would be good to include
binaries of grouper-api (inclusive of binary exts or utils), grouper-ws,
and grouper-ui in future releases. With ldappc and subject API also
available in binary, a deployer can turn immediately to configuration.
Are each of these well-defined targets, amenable to a "just add config
and serve" deployment recipe? What issues would we need to resolve to be
in position to do so?

Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing