grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 11 June 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 11 June 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

  • From: "caleb racey" <>
  • To: "Grouper Dev" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 11 June 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:42:13 +0100

>> 3. notification, time permitting
><https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Notifications>
>
>Are sites already using internal / open source / commercial event
>notification systems that they expect to integrate with Grouper?

We aren't using notification systems at present, however it is something
we badly need to develop for this and many other use cases.

We have been looking at JMS message queuing spefically ActiveMQ, so you
could stick a notification on the queue and then clients could handle
changes. I don't think this would require much integration with grouper
it would be a matter of sticking change messages on a queue.

We are looking at ActiveMQ as it has the benefit of allowing STOMP
protocol interaction with the queue which means very simple clients can
interact (the protocol being so basic people have written awk scripts
that can interact) and the STOMP protocol has client code on every
platform we care about. Institutionally we don't have a huge skill set
in this area so simple protocol and simple integration covering the
platforms we have is better for us.

Regards

Cal