grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] changelog implementation sketch

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] changelog implementation sketch

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Tom Zeller <>, "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, Grouper Dev <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] changelog implementation sketch
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:40:45 -0400

> We *could* use a post-commit hook to signal a notification system to go
> check the DB and determine if it should do some notifying. That would
> facilitate real-time notification, though without guarantees.

Yeah, this is a good idea.

> I'm reluctant to have us build a notification system. There are many
> 3rd party tools. Should we, at least for our first go, just integrate
> with one such open source product, at least to illustrate how that can
> be done?

Sure, any ideas for a good product here? I think a semi-custom approach
could be built with the job scheduling software I use for grouper-loader:
quartz. It would poll the audit/change table, call a custom plugin which
does the notification (or our own code if it is a cookie cutter one), and
updates or deletes the row or the state keeping table... This would not be
trivial to build, i.e. it would be difficult for each implementation to
maintain, but its not too hard especially since the loader does a similar
thing (different direction :) ).

> use that to supply an order to notifications. For example, a lockable
> DB table used to handout a new serial number as part of creation of a
> transaction. This will reduce opportunity for inconsistency, and is

This is a good idea. Hibernate id's can be generated this way.

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/mapping.html#mapping-declaration-id

I think the best performing way is to use "native" which is slightly
different on each DB if we want an ordered sequence. In mysql, there is a
way to do this via identity. For oracle it uses a sequence, etc. But it
means db's are not exactly the same, and might have implications on the
registry ddl. I think it would be worth it to figure out these issues to get
this unique ordered id in one query.